Winter Weather Preparedness (taken from Safeco Insurance website)
Winter Storms, Freezing and Icy Conditions. Learn How to Be Prepared for Winter Weather
Winter weather brings along with it a number of risks. Winter storms bring wind, snow and icy conditions that can damage your home and auto. Cold can cause pipes to burst, frost swells and other damage. Heating your home with fireplaces and holiday lighting can both increase the risk of fire.
Before Winter Arrives
Know What Your Insurance Covers and How Much You Need
Check your homeowners policy to see what’s covered and the deductible you have chosen. Some policies may have a different deductible for wind and hail, make sure you understand what your policy deductibles are so that you are not disappointed should you have a claim.
Winter Preparation Tips (here are some additional tips from the Insurance Information Institute Winter Storm Tips)
- Winter-proof your car with good snow tires or chains, new wiper blades, antifreeze and emergency road supplies.
- Keep your attic cool to help prevent ice dams.
- Insulate the attic floor and make sure it’s well ventilated.
- Don’t overload circuits with holiday decorations.
During a Winter Storm
Play It Safe When Winter Storms Hit
- If you don’t have to drive, stay put.
- If you must drive, make sure you have winterized your car and have a full tank of gas.
- When the air’s cold, keep bath and kitchen cabinet doors open so warm air can circulate around pipes. (see attachment regarding freezing and bursting pipes from the Insurance Insurance Institute Freezing-Bursting-Pipes_IBHS.pdf)
- If pipes do freeze, let them thaw normally—they’ll be less likely to burst.
- If the power’s out, make sure you don’t leave candles or fires burning unattended.
- If you use a portable generator, follow the instructions, and don’t use it indoors.
After a Winter Storm
Winter Storm Damage?
If you have experienced damage from winter weather, report it as soon as possible. We’re here to help and most carriers have 24 hour claim reporting 7 days a week.
Get more information on what else you can do if you experience winter weather damage.
Has it been a while since you reviewed your policy? Schedule some time to talk with Kim at Gilles Insurance Agency, 740-990-7107 to be sure you understand your coverage limits.